Monday, October 18, 2010

I need more Tylenol PM.

it's the middle of the night and i can't sleep. so, i thought i'd do something productive, (if you count blogging as productive?). my last post was what i thought about while oakley cried. this post would most accurately be named;


what i think about after oak goes to sleep fabulously without a peep and while chase snores louder than something really loud that i can't think of right now.

just a forewarning, this is more of a rant. 


some things that human beings do in general bother me so badly. 
let me name a few;



  • when people leave trash in my car.
  • when people say "how can you know you don't like it if you've never tried it?!" because trust me! i know i will not like cheese from a squirt can.
  • when people refer to pregnant woman as "about to POP".
  • when people say they have a migraine when they just have a bad headache.
  • when people smoke near entrances forcing me to walk through their cancer cloud.
ok- it might be more than a few things that bother me. but let me tell you something that has been particularly bothering me lately. 

  • when people use "well" and "good" interchangeably and incorrect. 
i try to not be "that guy/girl" who always corrects people's grammar. so, i just bite my tongue and listen and try not to think about it. but i am holding in all this grammatical error-anger and i can't stand it anymore! maybe that's a bit dramatic. 


here's a quick lesson about when to properly use "well" and "good" in a sentence. 

i'll just summarize the lesson i would teach 4th graders. 

WELL is an adverb.
it is used when using a verb. (action word)
 "you sing well." the verb is sing. the adverb is well.


GOOD is an adjective.
it is used to describe a noun. (person, place, or thing)
 "that steak is good" the noun steak. the adjective is good.

also there are exceptions like “the pizza looks good,” because the verb involved (looks) is a linking verb, connecting the subject (pizza) with information about it.

 does that make sense? 

here's a summary to my summary.

WELL= referring to health ("i feel well, thank you")
or when someone/thing does something exceptional.
GOOD= everything else. "i'm good." "good job." "what a good dog." (unless you say "what a well behaved dog" because in that case, to behave is a verb and well is the adverb)

get it?

anyway- it just bothers me. 

goodnight. 











5 comments:

Katie said...

I love you when you're ranty!

I take one tylenol pm every night when I go to bed. I'm too afraid of never going to sleep and when one has 4 kids morning comes too fast! Someday I'll get off the stuff.

How bout some more photos of that cute kid of yours?

Esther Grubbs said...

I am seriously considering taking notes from this post. Verb, nown, adverb, adjective, linking verb... they are all new to me.

ROBINSON said...

that was hard to keep up with ha! but i love it! and i love that you said it!!

Quinn & Ogden Nash said...

Your such a good (did I use it right?) teacher Mrs. Waters!

Chels said...

You forgot a couple things you and I both have a passionate HATE for on your list. 1.) TRASH IN THE SINK! There is something called a Trash Can for trash and it is usually located a near the kitchen sink so there is no need for leaving wrappers, jar lids, paper towels, ect in the sink!! The disposal doesn't grind those things up and makes us have to put our hands down that nasty hole to retrieve whatever the lazy person deposited into the sink!
2.) Dirty Micorwaves. if you blow something up in the microwave oven, freaking clean it up. Nothing is grosser. This is the sole reason I do not own a Microwave Oven.

One grammar error I can't stand is when people use the word essentially incorrectly and out of context also I hate it when Italian is pronounced EYE-talian.

rants feel good, perhaps I will make a rant post of my own one of these sleepless nights!