Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Independence Day 2011

We usually go up to Heber for the 4th of July weekend for the parade and the never disappointing fireworks show. This year, due to rain, the fireworks show didn't happen and we were totally bummed. 
At the last minute, we decided we needed to do something for the weekend because it is Chase's all time favorite holiday and that Saturday was supposed to be 117. Not my favorite. 

Long story short, we did a little research and decided Payson would be the perfect place because it's not far and not hot. 

We called up some of our favorite people, left early in the morning on the 4th, got there an hour and a half later and went to check out the park where the show was to be. To our surprise, people were already waiting there with their tents, 8 hours before the show! 
We made some friends with some people and they graciously agreed to watch our blankets and chairs so we didn't have to wait 8 hours in the sun. 
In the mean time, we went exploring. 

It wasn't really exploring for me, since where we went,I have been a million times before growing up. 
We drove up to Whispering Pines and played in the creek behind the cabin.


Tracy and Randy



I think Chase is testing my limits in this picture. I nearly had a heart attack when he started swinging Oakley over the water!
I was about to cry. Oakley was laughing.



After a few hours we decided it was time to go back to the park and reserve our own place before too many people came up and squished us out. 
The park was amazing. There was a huge lake and everyone gathered around it. We got the inside word where the fireworks were to be lit and we were in the most ideal spot. 
We brought some things to occupy our time like cards and bubbles. 
The bubbles were especially a hit. Tracy started blowing some for Oakley and the other children flocked to her.







I don't know who had more fun with the bubbles; Tracy or the kids. 


And then the show began.
 I wasn't sure what to expect with Oakley because they are so loud. But, he loved them! He couldn't take his eyes off of the sky. Most of the time I held my hands on his head covering his ears, and he was a trooper and just let me.


This picture doesn't do it justice, but the lights were amazing over the lake. It was like double the explosion. 




I don't know if it was just because i wasn't expecting anything nearly as awesome as the Heber Fireworks, but they did not disappoint.
Next year, it is going to be tough to decide where to go! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this post (of course!) lol cuz we were in it! :]

What a wonderfully fun time we had up there! Best 4th we've had by far. We look forward to the possibility that next year we'll be awesome as well!

Cami said...

Those fireworks look awesome, especially over the water! I would have had a heart attack too if my baby was hanging over a cliff! Silly husbands.